Arny and Anne Porath Senior Fellowship in Clinical Ethics
UCLA Ethics Center
Deadline: March 6, 2017 9 AM (PST)
The UCLA Ethics Center is seeking motivated and highly-qualified applicants for a one-year Arny and Anne Porath Senior Fellowship in Clinical Ethics.
The aim of this position is to afford qualified applicants a unique opportunity to further develop and hone their skills in ethics consultation at a nationally-recognized quaternary health system. As with our two-year fellowship, candidates for this position must possess a PhD in Bioethics, Healthcare/Medical Ethics, or Philosophy (with a concentration in Ethics or Bioethics). In addition, we are seeking individuals who have had some initial training and exposure to clinical ethics (e.g., one-year fellowship, or those who may have moved immediately into clinical work without the opportunity of a fellowship), yet value the benefit of enhancing their practice.
This unique fellowship, for those with some clinical experience, will only be offered in 2017, all future fellowships will continue to be the two-year clinical ethics fellowships.
Key skills in ethics consultation—e.g., the ability to identify and analyze clinical ethical problems, exercise clinical judgment, enhance communication among stakeholders, and mediate conflicts as they arise in the care of a particular patient—will be refined as the senior fellow progresses stepwise through our 12-month, intensive program with extensive mentoring from senior faculty of our department. They can anticipate completing the program with the experience of 150+ complex consults (which includes transplant medicine, trauma, neurology, oncology, pediatrics, neonatology, gerontology and psychiatry) in an environment with significant cultural diversity. Additionally, the senior fellow will enhance his or her role in the hospital setting through participation on the hospital’s three Ethics Committees, by contributing to hospital policy development, providing education to medical faculty and housestaff, and in the role of primary mentor to the junior fellow.
Successful candidates will have a strong aptitude for clinical ethics, a proven track record of publication, commitment to the professionalization of clinical ethics, and be able to demonstrate significant potential to become a leader in the field. The ability to integrate cross-cultural care, end-of-life/palliative care, psychosocial and spiritual care into clinical care is critical to this role. We are searching for a compassionate and empathic professional with excellent interpersonal skills who is able to utilize critical and creative thinking in navigating complex ethical issues. A commitment to collaborative work in a fast-paced environment is essential.
Responsibilities include but are not be limited to:
The Fellow commits to a demanding clinical schedule, providing supervised clinical ethics consultation, on call coverage, education throughout the UCLA Health system, assists in developing policies, is a member of three ethics committees and participates in research projects.
• Providing clinical ethics consultation to Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center, Resnick Neuropsychiatric Hospital and Santa Monica UCLA Medical Center and Orthopedic Hospital
• After an appropriate period of observation, providing supervised on-call coverage for the ethics consultation service
• Participating on the three UCLA Health System Ethics Committees
• Collaborating in developing ethics education programs for staff
• Participating in ethics rounds
• Attend Ethics Center lectures and educational programs
• Collaborating in policy review and development activities
• Participating in educational activities
• Community involvement and experiences
• Mentoring of the junior ethics fellow
• Contribute to departmental research projects
• Submission of a paper for publication in a peer reviewed journal
Fellowship entails a full-time commitment for one year; starting date is negotiable, but no later than July 1, 2017.
Stipend is $95,000, plus excellent benefits and relocation assistance.
Apply directly at: https://jobs2.mednet.ucla.edu/CSS_External/CSSPage_Referred.ASP?Req=H88724
We will begin considering applications immediately, with a deadline of March 6, 2017 9 AM (PST)
In addition, as soon as possible please submit the following to items: firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Your curriculum vitae.
2. A letter, addressed to the Fellowship Director, James Hynds, LL.B., Ph.D., limited to 1000 words, describing why you are interested in obtaining clinical experience, your goals post-fellowship, potential research interests, and relevant character traits that make you well suited for clinical ethics. Please also include three references, with email addresses and phone numbers.
Read full call and apply here!bioethics clinical research fellowship opportunity research