Office of the President and Provost at Harvard University
Deadline: Open until filled
Provides administrative support to the Harvard University-Area Institutional Review Board. Works with researchers, the IRB Chairperson and members, and other University offices to ensure the rights and welfare of participants in the human research activities conducted by the University's faculty, scientists, and students. Assists researchers in adhering to IRB requirements, federal and state regulations, state law, University policies, and the ethical principles that apply to human research projects. Investigates and resolves issues of noncompliance. Supports the IRB Chairperson and other IRB members by providing professional analytical and technical assistance while interacting closely with researchers from University-area schools including the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, Harvard Kennedy School of Government, Harvard Graduate School of Education, the Harvard Law School, Harvard Divinity School, Harvard Graduate School of Design, Harvard University Health Services, Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study, Harvard School of Engineering and Applied Sciences, and Harvard Business School.
He/she will report to the Senior IRB Administrator in the Harvard University-Area IRB office.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Analyze and review applications for the IRB to ensure completeness and compliance with appropriate federal and state laws, institutional policies, and Harvard University-Area IRB guidelines;
- Determine whether research projects are exempt from further review, review and approve certain research projects on behalf of the IRB as a designated reviewer;
- Correspond with researchers, articulating required modifications to study documentation, including informed consent forms, in order to secure IRB approval, and requesting additional information needed before approval can be considered;
- Prepare documents for deliberation at IRB meetings, attend IRB meetings, prepare meeting minutes, and communicate IRB determinations and actions to researchers;
- Develop and participate in training and educational activities on human research protections that are presented to researchers and administrators;
- Provide guidance to researchers and administrators on the use of the Electronic Submission Tracking & Reporting (ESTR) system used by the Harvard University-Area IRB to manage applications for review and automate correspondence;
- Conduct monitoring of Harvard University-Area approved human research projects;
- Maintain active knowledge of evolving laws, regulations, policies, and ethical norms that are applicable to human research activities through continuous professional development;
- Other duties as required.
- Bachelor's degree with at least 2 years of experience related to the field of human subjects research protections.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the federal regulations on human research protections.
- Demonstrated proficiency in the MS-Office Suite of computer applications.
Read the full call here.bioethics opportunity