IRB Review Specialist
Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary
Deadline: December 01, 2015
Requisition Number: 15-0076
Department: Research Administration
Location: Boston, MA
Reporting to the Director of the Human Research Protections Program, this position provides administrative and operational support for the Human Studies Committee (HSC), the Massachusetts Eye and Ear and Schepens Eye Research Institute’s Institutional Review Board (IRB).
The successful candidate will perform complex duties to facilitate the HSC’s review and approval process to ensure the protection of human research participants. Additionally, this individual is expected to appropriately interpret and apply relevant federal and state laws, regulations, guidelines, and institutional policies and procedures while facilitating ethical research. The IRB Review Specialist will participate in quality assurance and educational activities and serve as a mentor for more junior staff; this individual will utilize well-developed interpersonal skills, a collaborative style, exceptional oral and written skills, and a reputation for working successfully with faculty, staff, and students to implement new policies, procedures, and programs.
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferred, preferably in a biology or medical field.
- 3 years of experience at an IRB, a Human Research Protection Program, or other equivalent experience with human subjects research.
- Understanding and ability to interpret the ethical considerations involved in human subject research, including all applicable federal regulations (45 CFR 46 and 21 CFR 50, 56, 312, and 812), State, and Institutional policies
- Exceptional organizational skills, including the ability to multi-task and prioritize successfully
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Sound judgment, thoughtfulness, and attention to detail
- Evidence of self-motivation and the ability to work both independently and in a team
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively with the research community
- Ability to handle multiple tasks with a heavy workload and assist others as circumstances may require
- Customer service focus
- Flexible, tactful, and diplomatic
- Willingness and flexibility to accommodate changing priorities and processes and learn new systems
- Ability to follow instructions in the preparation of various compliance correspondences
- Commitment to professional development, to include attending national conferences
- Ability to create, produce, and securely maintain highly sensitive, confidential information.
- Demonstrated proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office suite of applications including SharePoint, e-mail (Outlook), web browsers, web applications, Internet and communications tools
- Knowledge and experience using electronic IRB management system(s)
- Certified IRB Professional (CIP) or Certified IRB Manager
- AAHRPP accreditation experience is a plus