Manager, Health Policy
Chan Zuckerberg Initiative
Deadline: Open until filled.
The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative is dedicated to advancing human potential and promoting equal opportunity through technology, grantmaking, impact investing, policy, and advocacy work. We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing world-class engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress. The Health Policy Lead will work with members of the Policy and Science teams to guide the development of initiatives at the intersection of law and policy, technology, and biomedicine.
WHAT WE BELIEVE
We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands how to address our society’s challenges better than those who live them every day. These partners help us identify problems and opportunities, learn fast and iterate toward our audacious goals for the next century. We strive to be humble, empathetic and scrappy life-long learners who work collaboratively to develop community-centered solutions.
We believe that high-performing teams include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative actively seeks a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, and people from low-income families.
The Health Policy Lead will guide the development of initiatives at the intersection of law and policy, technology, and biomedicine. To begin, the person in this role will help us to explore opportunities to promote data sharing and support, and strengthen patient communities and partnerships. As part of our small team, this individual will have the opportunity to contribute to our broader science policy strategy in support of CZI’s mission to cure, prevent, or manage all diseases by the end of the century.
- Serve as subject matter expert on health policy, privacy and security
- Provide sound analyses of federal, state, and international policies and regulations that impact or provide important context for emerging projects at the intersection of technology and biomedicine
- Distill complex problems into clear recommendations substantiated by independent research and analysis
- Cultivate and promote good working relationships with external stakeholders and partners
- Engage with health policy and privacy experts to monitor or influence emerging developments in the field
- Work with our Science Policy Director to scope new areas and opportunities for accelerating biomedical innovation by facilitating data sharing and supporting and strengthening patient communities
- 5+ years experience in health policy or a related field
- Substantive knowledge in one or more of the following areas: precision medicine, health data access, privacy and security, digital health technology, bioethics, genomics, human subjects regulations, and open science
- Strong policy analysis skills and scientific literacy
- Proven ability to work collaboratively and navigate complex organizations to achieve results
- Ability to rapidly acquire knowledge in areas beyond current expertise
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to engage internal and external stakeholders at all levels
- Ability to travel to meetings and conferences and other events, as needed
- JD, MPH, or an equivalent advanced degree (preferred)
ABOUT THE CHAN ZUCKERBERG INITIATIVE
The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative was launched by Facebook founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg and Dr. Priscilla Chan, a pediatrician and founder of the Primary School. CZI seeks to advance human potential and promote equity. Initially, focus areas will include personalized learning, curing disease, and building strong communities. We will make long-term investments over 25, 50 or even 100 years because our greatest challenges require time to solve. To learn more, visit our Facebook page.health law policy opportunity