University Professor and Director, Kegley Institute of Ethics
Deadline: September 15, 2016
CSU Bakersfield, Office of the Provost Position #: 17/18 KIE 01
Position: University Professor and Director, Kegley Institute of Ethics Position #: 17/18 KIE 01
Type: Professor or Associate Professor (tenured)
Start Date: August 2017, earlier by negotiation
Location: Joint appointment in Kegley Institute of Ethics and relevant academic department
Contact: Dr. Chandra Commuri, Search Committee Chair, 661-654-6140; firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: Review of applications will begin on September 15, 2016 and will continue until filled. To be assured of full consideration, your file must be complete by September 29.
- Terminal degree in relevant field.
- Substantial record of teaching and research at Associate or higher level.
- Demonstrated record of designing and implementing academic events and programs.
- Demonstrated excellence in written, oral and interpersonal communication.
- Successful record of community engagement.
- Established record as leader and collaborator within the university and community.
- Ability to secure external funds.
- Successful record of public scholarship.
- Experience with ethics-across-the-campus (EAC) program.
- Experience with first-generation college students.
The successful candidate will have dual roles. First, she/he will be a member of the CSUB faculty, with associated teaching, research and service requirements in the appropriate academic department. She or he will specialize in ethics, broadly understood, but otherwise may come from any academic discipline. We thus seek applicants from across the disciplinary spectrum with rank and teaching/research/service requirements to be determined in consultation with CSUB administration and the successful candidate’s disciplinary colleagues.
Second, she/he will serve as the Director of the Kegley Institute of Ethics. In this role she/will be responsible for developing and implementing KIE events and programs and serving as Executive for the KIE Board of Governors and KIE Advisory Committee – including assisting with ongoing fundraising efforts. She/he will maintain and expand KIE’s reputation as the principal community resource of ethics awareness and training for area schools and business, non-profit, and governmental organizations. She/he will work with the Associate Director for Campus Programming to grow CSUB’s EAC program while also having a leadership role in the broader academic and professional communities.
She/he will, in sum, be the campus’ leader – and its liaison to the broader community – for ethics awareness, education and research.
Background Check: A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
Kegley Institute of Ethics
- Our Mission: To inspire our community to recognize the value of thinking about and engaging in ethical behavior
- Our Vision: To be widely recognized as a leader in ethics
- Our Goals:
- To involve the campus and Bakersfield community in a range of ethics related activities;
- To promote high quality ethics research – both traditional and scholarship that directly engages with the non-academic public; and
- To motivate a commitment to character education and development at all stages of life.
Visit KIE’s web page at www.csub.edu/kie/ for additional information.
California State University, Bakersfield is committed to Equal Opportunity. Applicants will be considered without regard to gender, race, age, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, genetic information, marital status, disability or covered veterans’ status.
Mandated Reporter: The person holding this position is considered a “mandated reporter” under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Compensation: Commensurate with experience and qualifications with potential additional benefits associated with a public-private partnership through KIE’s Board of Governors. CSUB offers a generous benefit package (e.g., excellent health, dental, vision, and retirement benefits).
Application: Send letter of application that speaks to the required and preferred qualities of the position, curriculum vitae, and the names of three professional references electronically to Renee Martin, Office of the Provost: email@example.com.
General Information: California State University, Bakersfield, founded in 1970, is one of twenty-three campuses of the CSU System and currently has an enrollment of over 9,000 students. The University services a socially and ethnically diverse population of over 850,000 in an area of 10,000 square miles. The city of Bakersfield (population over 358,000) is located in the southern San Joaquin Valley and has a much lower cost of living than coastal California. Los Angeles, the Pacific Ocean, Mojave Desert, and Sierra Nevada Mountains are all within a two-hour drive from campus.bioethics job opportunity